Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1st Birthday Twin

My dad's older sister Sharon is old enough to be his mother. She is short, like me. She also happens to share my birthday.
Back said: Sharon Evon, age nine, these roses and I were in the 24th of July parade. And the desert shall bloom like a rose. Jameston Ward
I remember driving to Sharon and Ken's house with my dad for a Christmastime gathering when I was small. They were in their Fruit Heights house, and I thought it was absolutely lovely (I still do). They had a very pretty Christmas tree and lots of twinkle lights, as well as breakable ornaments and decorations, which I looked at and did not touch. Not only that, but the arrival to her house was a little bit magical and twinkly, because you could see all the heralding lights of the houses of her hillside neighborhood from the freeway.
Sharon with her nephew Michael, who is a year older than my dad.

Sharon gave me a peridot ring set on a gold band a few years ago, because we are birthday twins. She also gave me a beautiful buffet that she bought antique in Denver many years ago and carefully restored. She even used gold leaf in the grooves. I, on the other hand, didn't even send her a birthday card; I never do, I always forget at the right time. I think of it in March, at the beginning of July, and on our birthday, but by then it's a little late, isn't it?

Nevertheless, I wish her the very happiest day this year, like I do every year.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Sharon is actually the same age as my dad. It was always funny to me how your dad's family kinda skips around in the generation-pool. Sharon has always been very kind to me, even back in the day when I was a barefoot California girl who knew nothing of country living. Didn't she also give you a grey chair (or was it a gray chair)? She has always been partial to her birthday twin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did! I think of it as blueish, but it is gre/ay blue.

      Delete
  2. I think it's never too late for a birthday card, Sharon would appreciate it, even late!

    ReplyDelete